« Home | I wish I had these.I found this. I wish I could sa... » | » | Me v. the bees » | my night, by candlelight » | the top of my desk and my desktop » | ask a ninja » | these guys have more time than I do » | yellow and blue makes green » | Bob Loblaw lobs law blog bomb - Bob Loblaw update » | » 

Monday, May 29, 2006  

 

NIN

As far as I can tell, this photo from Nine Inch Nails' website is from somewhere around Boise. It looks like the Boise hills. I wouldn't be surprised if Nine Inch Nails updated their site after each show.

I went to the NIN show out at the Idaho Center last night. It was fantastic. Tighe and I got there at about 5 o'clock (because we wanted to get good seats and strategically park the car so that we could make quick getaway after the show was over). This paid off big time by the way.

We got into line just after 5, an hour before the doors were supposed to open. We were about 40th in line. Not bad. Unfortunately, we were behind this group of junior high kids who were dressed in all black, wearing ridiculous makeup. One kid had goggles on. One of the girls said she left her goggles at home because they were green and they didn't match her hair. Her hair was yellow and maroon by the way.

I am all for individual expression and I know that when I was there age, I did similar shit to try and stand out/feel cool/feel important/feel different/fit in/get laid/etc. I didn't have a problem with the manufactured Goth androgyny, the two girls making out two feet in front of me or the skinny, albino kid desperately trying to wrap his arms around his (huge) perforated-lipped girlfriend while they violently made out with eachother. I did have a problem, however, being forced to overhear about all of the tattoos that they wanted, where they bought the metal crap that was hanging from their pants/wrists/faces/and God knows where else, and the excessive and nonchalont rape banter they kept up for the entire hour while we were in line.

The powers that be mercifully split the one line into four, and Tighe and I managed to rid ourselves of the crew of boring noir automatons that is our future and upgraded our spot to second in line behind some lady who had pitch black hair down to her knees and was wearing skintight leather pants. Her teenage son stood beside her as though they were in line at Albertsons. I thought this was rad.

We were let into the venue at about 6:15 and Tighe and I spotted where we wanted to sit quickly. We were just left of center on the railing. Elevated, no one in front of us. About as good as we could have done with GA tickets. We didn't even have to spread like panacea. We ran into 3 other friends who decided to give up their assigned seats in favor of sitting with us. We were ready to rock. I'll recap the opening acts in short shrift.

Opening Act #1 - TV on the Radio - They were fine. They played 6 songs. I liked 4 of them. Tighe said they sounded like Bloc Party. Decent and, more importantly, quick.

Opening Act #2 - Bauhaus - Fuck Bauhaus. After their first song I thought to myself "fuck this repetitive, Gothy, overproduced nonsense." I then thought the same thing, with an increasing amount of anger, 14 more times as they played a full set of shitty, crowd-alienating songs. 15 songs for Christ's sake! I had never heard of Bauhaus before last night and after seeing them live I now know why. They suck balls. They made me hate music. They went on forever and by the time they were done, I wanted to go home and cut my ears off.

Okay. After the abortion that is Bauhaus finished crapping all over the stage, the house lights came up and everyone was talking/drinking/dancing (actually just one really drink girl right next to us - drunk chicks don't need music to dance apparently)/and generally waiting for NIN to come on. All of the sudden a huge noise came from the stage. NIN started playing. Everyone freaked out. It was cool to see them just come on and start playing without having to be chanted on stage. No lights came down. Nothing. They just started. The first three songs came really quick. Their energy was really good. I was impressed from the first minute of their performance. Trent Reznor threw the microphone into the crowd at the end of "March of Pigs" and the whoever grabbed it nailed the last line of the song perfectly. "And EVERYTHING IS ALRIGHTTTT...... FUCK YEAH!!!!" This was the highlight of the concert for me. They couldn't have planned it any better.

I won't recap the whole thing, but suffice it to say that is it was a blast. They played most of the hits and a few really good but lesser known songs. Their stage was incredible. The light show and screen thingy they had was better than Radiohead's. All in all, despite of everything, it was the best $30 I've spent in a long time.

great blog...but i still hate NIN...hahaha...i got money

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm VP of Haterade
  • From Boise, Idaho, United States
  • Hi. I'm J. I have this blog to share my random thoughts and the random stuff I find with whoever wants to listen. If you don't like what I say or post on here, please tell me. I'd be haapy to mock, ridicule, and belittle you, your blog, any pictures you have, your poor grammar, your obviously awful taste in blogs, and anything else I can find on Google to make fun of. I will do all of these things (and more) because I am unable to handle any kind of criticism and am unable to deal with confrontation in healthy ways. Cheers.
My profile